Self-harm treatment

If you’ve reached out to a GP or psychiatrist, they should discuss a range of different treatment and support options for you, and your views and preferences should be taken into account. Some professionals will also want to discuss other mental health symptoms as self-harm can be related to experiencing other mental health conditions.

Common treatment or support for self-harm include:

  • Talking therapies, including Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) or psychodynamic therapy.
  • Support groups, peer-lead or facilitated.
  • Medication might be offered alongside talking therapy to support symptoms of other mental health conditions.
  • A GP has access to refer you to psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, occupational therapists and community psychiatric nurses to assist with your support as appropriate.

Your donation will make the difference

Just £10 could help pay for a call to our advice and information line, supporting someone living with mental illness who may be feeling in distress during this time.