The cause of schizophrenia is unknown, but it is usually a combination of the following factors:
- Genetics – Schizophrenia tends to run in families but there isn’t a single gene responsible
- Stressful life events – For example money problems, bereavement, abuse or becoming homeless
- Drugs – Some people develop schizophrenia after using cannabis or other recreational drugs
- Brain chemistry – It’s thought that for people with schizophrenia their levels of natural chemicals dopamine and serotonin have changed or become imbalanced
- Brain development – Some studies have shown that injury or differences to the brain could be linked to schizophrenia. It’s possible that birth complications could also be linked
Please donate today
Just £10 could print and distribute up to 30 information guides to help people learn about mental health.